The Official RONR Q & A Forums

County Commission to implement employee handbook

Guest MAK

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me.  I am an employee of our County Commission. They are going to implement an employee handbook, which is a good thing as we never had one before.  What I am wondering about is if there is any protocol that should be followed in a circumstance such as this one.

I was sure what the rules may be because in this scenerio are they merely an employer?

Thanks so much!

If my County Commission wants to pass say a fire levy or some sort of County Ordinance there is a protocol that they must follow.

Has to be posted publicly, voted on by the Commission members and so on.

Would an employee handbook follow those same rules?  Or do they not have to because the County Commission is considered the employer. They create the vacation policies, rate of pay, etc.

1 hour ago, Guest MAK said:

If my County Commission wants to pass say a fire levy or some sort of County Ordinance there is a protocol that they must follow.

Would an employee handbook follow those same rules?  Or do they not have to because the County Commission is considered the employer. They create the vacation policies, rate of pay, etc.

The protocols you are referring to must be in the county commission's own rules or in applicable law, because there is no rule in RONR which requires anything to be posted publicly. If these are the commission's own rules, the commission will have to interpret whether they apply when adopting an employee handbook. If these rules are in applicable law, then the commission should seek legal advice regarding whether the rules apply when adopting an employee handbook.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:03 PM, Guest MAK said:

First, a commissioner should to the board's solicitor to determine if it is required or advisable to be adopted by ordinance.

If not, it should be handled as a regular main motion. 

Since we do not what is in it, nobody here could possibly say who this policy would apply to. 

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.