The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling of the Question

ParliamentaryPlayer

According to my understanding and granted I may be reading this from multiple sources online plus be dead wrong. But, if you were to ask the chair to "call the question", debate would be closed, the question called, correct? Further, from what I have read, it would take a 2/3rds vote to approve because debate was not held (as opposed to a simple majority). Now my question comes in two parts: 

A ) Can you request to "call the question" and the chair decline the request allowing debate?
   i) If the chair was to decline the "calling of the question", can you overrule the chair on a floor vote?

B ) If there is an off number of members what constitutes a 2/3rds vote under Roberts Rules v.10? Ex: 7 person board, 4 would be simple majority, so would 2/3rds then be 5?

No, if you move the "previous question," it takes a 2/3 vote to adopt, which has the effect of closing debate.  The pending motions on which the previous question was ordered (you can move it on the immediately pending question, or on any sequence of questions beginning with the immediately pending question and not skipping any) will then be voted on - they will require whatever their normal threshold is.  It is a myth that simply shouting "question!' ends debate.

The chair cannot decline, and it is not a request, it is a motion.  Either the assembly will, by a 2/3 vote, order the previous question, or it will not.  The chair does not decide.

2/3 is twice as many as not.  If there are 7 voting, and 5 vote in the affirmative, then 2 are against, so 5 being twice as many as 2, the motion is adopted.  If 4 voted yes and 3 no, the motion would not be adopted.  You cannot figure it out from the number on the board, though, since not all will necessarily vote.  Just count the votes and see if the yes votes are twice as many, or more, than the no votes.  You also mention an "off number."  I assume this means not divisible by 3.  You need 2/3 or more, so if you cannot have exactly 2/3, you need more.

Just to follow-up and reinforce what Mr. Katz said, it is a common misconception that one member can stop debate simply by calling for the question. 

As Mr. Katz pointed out, to end debate requires motion for the previous question (or to end debate - same thing) and a two-thirds vote. One person alone cannot force debate to stop although the chair, seeing that no one else wishes to speak, may proceed directly to a vote.

Edited to add: you might look at FAQ # 11 for more information. http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#11

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.