The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Commitee

Mic

Background: I am the Chair of a Reunion Committee. We have agreed to operate under Roberts Rules of Order. As Chair, I've had to deal with a Treasurer who is overbearing, obnoxious and oversteps her boundaries often. In a recent exchange the treasurer offered her resignation by stating...."that she was done and she wouldn't be attending any further meetings" for which I as Chair promptly accepted.

1. What right under RR do I, as Chair, have to accept her resignation?

2. What right do I have as Chair to request a Special Committee to review my right as chair to accept and honor her resignation?

Please, when discussed be specific in identifying rules.

Thanks

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

"The power to appoint or elect persons to any office or board carries with it the power to accept their resignations, and also the power to fill any vacancy occurring in it, unless the bylaws expressly provide otherwise." RONR (11th ed.), p.476, ll.25–28

I would say you have no right to unilaterally accept the treasurer's resignation unless you appointed her. You have the same right as any member to move that a committee be formed to review your rights in the matter, but such a motion will have to be adopted by the majority.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.