The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Powerpoint

Guest Alex

Can i use powerpoint as my preferred form of communication during a town hall meeting.they follow roberts rules. in the agenda,  their is a section called "for the good of the town" where towns people can address the council for 4 minutes.  I have a strong accent. Nothing in the bylaws to prevent it but the council didn't reply to my request. 

1 hour ago, Transpower said:

I think this falls under the "request to read papers."  Simply say, "Mr. President, I ask to read a statement and use Power Point.  May I?"  The chair then asks if there is any objection.  If not, then proceed.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 298.

Perhaps. And it does seem like a good way to make the request. But, you do understand that this is a town council meeting and  guest Alex is a member of the public and not a council member, right? And that the RONR provision you mentioned refers to members of the body that is meeting. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last sentence

21 hours ago, Transpower said:

I think this falls under the "request to read papers."  Simply say, "Mr. President, I ask to read a statement and use Power Point.  May I?"  The chair then asks if there is any objection.  If not, then proceed.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 298.

Except that what is said on pages 298-299 relates to requests made by members to read papers while speaking in debate.

3 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Except that what is said on pages 298-299 relates to requests made by members to read papers while speaking in debate.

Good points. So I have to find out the standing rules. If the standing rules were in my favor, then I have the right , for however long that standing rule is in place?

3 hours ago, Guest Alex said:

Good points. So I have to find out the standing rules. If the standing rules were in my favor, then I have the right , for however long that standing rule is in place?

Alex, if you are a member of the public, you have very few if any rights. You will have only those rights that the council or its rules or state law Grant to members of the public. Everything in Robert's Rules of Order deals with members of the body that is meeting. You are not a member of the body that is meeting. You will have only whatever rights are granted to members of the public who are appearing before the council. My guess is that you will probably be entirely at the mercy of the council. But yes, check to see what rights their rules and stste law grant to members of the public.

Alex I have learned that when a member of the public wants to do something unusual at a council meeting, such as a slideshow or a PowerPoint presentation, it is usually best to talk to the council Clerk or or the chairman or another council member in advance to explain what you want to do and try to get a tentative okay in advance. Putting on a PowerPoint presentation may require so much extra set up time in the middle of the council meeting that they will deny your request unless they are prepared for it in advance.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.