The Official RONR Q & A Forums

questioning a motion and who can take part in an AGM

Guest From the Sidelines

Guest From the Sidelines

Hi all,

I have 2 questions for the smart.

1. In an association you might have different classes of memberships (eg. A, B and C). Lets say in this example Class A has the right to hold office and vote, Class B cannot hold office, but can vote and Class C cannot hold office or vote. At the AGM, can Class C make or participate in any motions?

2. At what point can you question a motion? Lets use the example above. In new business, Say a member wants to change the name of the membership classifications. He/She is recognized and says I move we change the names of member classes form A, B and C to AA, BB, CC. As this association is not very strong on RROO, the chair asks for a seconder and it is second. At what point can you question why are we changing the classifications?

Thanks

It is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws. The answer depends on the exact wording of your bylaws.

In my opinion, when a society has different classes of membership, all of the members have all rights of membership except for those rights specifically denied to a specific class. 

To say that members have only the rights specifically granted would mean that even your class A members do not have the right to make motions or to debate because the bylaws don't specifically grant them those rights. . 

Stay tuned. This topic comes up from time to time. Other members might disagree.

As to your question No 2 regarding when a motion must be questioned, it must be objected to by a timely point of order made immediately at the time of the breach or it is waived.  The reasons for the motion, however, such as the reasons for the change in classifications, are properly the subject of the debate on the motion. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.