The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Write-in Votes

Guest TraderFred

We are having elections for several Board positions tomorrow and are mandated to have 'secret written ballots'. Two of the positions have no candidates running. At the last minute, separate candidates 'volunteered' to run for each of the positions . Our by-laws prohibit nominations on election night. Since the candidates cannot be nominated on election night, my suggestion was to allow the voting members to write in the names of each of the candidates on the ballot under the specific position they 'volunteered' for. My basic question is what percentage of the votes would it it take, under RONR, to declare a 'winner' in the uncontested positions. Let's assume that there will be write-in votes for only 1 candidate for each position.

1 hour ago, Guest TraderFred said:

We are having elections for several Board positions tomorrow and are mandated to have 'secret written ballots'. Two of the positions have no candidates running. At the last minute, separate candidates 'volunteered' to run for each of the positions . Our by-laws prohibit nominations on election night. Since the candidates cannot be nominated on election night, my suggestion was to allow the voting members to write in the names of each of the candidates on the ballot under the specific position they 'volunteered' for. My basic question is what percentage of the votes would it it take, under RONR, to declare a 'winner' in the uncontested positions. Let's assume that there will be write-in votes for only 1 candidate for each position.

A majority vote (more than half) of the votes cast for a position is required for election. Keep in mind, however, that blank ballots or abstentions don't count as votes cast.

To expand on what Josh said, as long as each one receives more votes for his or her respective position than are cast for anyone else for the same position, they win. So if each of the "volunteers" votes for himself or herselfr, and there are no other votes cast for those positions, they win.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.