The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple Offices

CPlll

What does Robert's Rules say about an elected officer also serving as a the chair for a standing committee?

The Organizations Bylaws state: In addition to the elected officers, the President, with the approval of the executive staff, may appoint the following non-voting chairs to the Board.

The issue is as an elected officer the person is a voting member of the board, but as a Chair they are non-voting - so when moving into executive session - non-voting members must leave the room.  However, if the person is also an elected officer - how is this resolved?

From what the Bylaw above states - I interpret it to mean that an elected officer cannot serve as a Chair ("In addition to...") - but does not explicitly state that? 

Any insights or help would be appreciated!

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

Robert's has no rule against one person holding more than one office. I don't see a problem with your situation. There is no point in appointing a person to the board who is already a member. So when a board officer becomes a standing committee chair, he or she retains the full rights of a board member.

That's my interpretation and it's ultimately up to your organization to figure out how to implement your bylaws. Take a vote.

22 hours ago, CPlll said:

What does Robert's Rules say about an elected officer also serving as a the chair for a standing committee?

Robert's Rules says it's fine.

22 hours ago, CPlll said:

The issue is as an elected officer the person is a voting member of the board, but as a Chair they are non-voting - so when moving into executive session - non-voting members must leave the room.  However, if the person is also an elected officer - how is this resolved?

From what the Bylaw above states - I interpret it to mean that an elected officer cannot serve as a Chair ("In addition to...") - but does not explicitly state that? 

It seems to me that they are a voting member.

Also, where do you get the idea that non-voting members must leave the room when the assembly enters executive session? Is this in your bylaws? It's not in RONR.

10 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Also, where do you get the idea that non-voting members must leave the room when the assembly enters executive session? Is this in your bylaws? It's not in RONR.

Actually, I think this is exactly what RONR now says, but let's not get involved in that again.  :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.