The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw issue

JaneH

Our local bylaws state if we would like to add or change a bylaw it must be done in writing,  and submitted to executive board of director. It will be reviewed and brought before membership within 10 business days. Nearly a year has past and the proposal has never been brought to the general membership. I recently asked a building delegate the status of the bylaw proposal that had been submitted and the reply was, "it was discussed among the board but then ignored". The secretary never entered the original proposal into the minutes. Basically, our elected officials (executive board) do what ever they have done in the past and don't follow established bylaws. What can one do? Is this legal? We have tried to vote others into position but much of the membership is afraid to work with current board or other issues.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

It really depends on exactly what your bylaws say. I have to wonder what the purpose of "review" is if the board is mandated to bring the proposed amendment to the membership. Have they no discretion?

Legal? That's a question for an attorney. What can you do? Elect other people to the board or leave the flock. I don't think you get anywhere with a point of order if everyone else is afraid.

Amendments to this Constitution may be introduced in writing by any member of the XYZA at any meeting of the Faculty Council. After the proposed amendments have been studied by the Faculty Council and after members of the XYZAhave had ten (10) days to study the proposed amendments, voting shall take place. Amendments, once approved, shall become part of the Constitution and Bylaws.

My knee-jerk reaction is raise a Point of Order but perhaps a strict reading of the bylaw means the vote cannot occur within 10 days of submission but does not  set a time limit within which to put it to a vote.  It can be brought to a vote at the next meeting, the year-end meeting or the year 2395 and it is still after the 10 days.  Ultimately it is up to the membership to interpret this bylaw but I would say you may consider specifying a time within which the matter must be brought to a vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.