The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest K. Wall

The board secretary was absent at our board meeting today and I was elected Secretary pro tem, since I am responsible for taking the minutes at all meetings anyway. My question is related to the signing of the minutes. As Secretary pro tem do I sign the minutes of the previous meeting which the board approved today while I was the acting Secretary, or do I sign the minutes of the meeting for which I was the acting Secretary (today's meeting)?

30 minutes ago, Guest K. Wall said:

The board secretary was absent at our board meeting today and I was elected Secretary pro tem, since I am responsible for taking the minutes at all meetings anyway. My question is related to the signing of the minutes. As Secretary pro tem do I sign the minutes of the previous meeting which the board approved today while I was the acting Secretary, or do I sign the minutes of the meeting for which I was the acting Secretary (today's meeting)?

You initial the minutes which were approved while you served as acting Secretary, and you sign the minutes which you actually took. The minutes are signed when they are submitted for approval, and you are the one submitting them for approval. They are initaled when the assembly approves them.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, Josh. However, I'm confused by your answer. If I sign the minutes that were submitted for approval (and approved) at today's board meeting while I as acting Secretary, then those are the minutes of the previous meeting. You said I initial the previous minutes, but you also said that I sign the minutes that were approved. 

P.S. I take the minutes at all meetings, but normally the Secretary signs them after the board approves them. 

18 hours ago, Guest K. Wall said:

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, Josh. However, I'm confused by your answer. If I sign the minutes that were submitted for approval (and approved) at today's board meeting while I as acting Secretary, then those are the minutes of the previous meeting. You said I initial the previous minutes, but you also said that I sign the minutes that were approved. 

P.S. I take the minutes at all meetings, but normally the Secretary signs them after the board approves them. 

Based on this additional information, it seems to me you should simply sign all of the minutes. :)

But failing that, sign the minutes which you took when you served as Acting Secretary.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:00 PM, Guest K. Wall said:

It appears that you have your own rules or customs which differ from the rules in RONR. RONR provides that the secretary takes the minutes and signs them before they are approved. In any event, the person who actually took the minutes should normally sign  them. If the secretary also signs them after the board approves them and that is your custom or rule, then of course you may continue to do so. 

Based on those additional facts, I agree with Mr. Martin's comment above .

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
On 5/4/2017 at 5:00 PM, Guest K. Wall said:

This is backward. The Secretary signs the minutes as an attestation that they are true and correct. Then the Secretary initials them after the board makes corrections. As an unappointed subordinate, whatever transpires between you and the Secretary should be transparent to the board, EXCEPT in case that you are appointed to office pro tempore. Then you will sign the minutes in your temporary capacity.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

This is backward. The Secretary signs the minutes as an attestation that they are true and correct. Then the Secretary initials them after the board makes corrections. As an unappointed subordinate, whatever transpires between you and the Secretary should be transparent to the board, EXCEPT in case that you are appointed to office pro tempore. Then you will sign the minutes in your temporary capacity.

I would disagree. If this person takes all minutes, then it seems to me that as a parliamentary matter, she is the recording secretary and should sign all minutes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.