The Official RONR Q & A Forums

MInutes

Truth Seeker

I had an unruly Board member interrupt me during a report I was reading.  This Board member is known for being problematic & I had told our Commodore/Chairman that I wouldn't continue if I was constantly interrupted again.  When I stopped my report, I asked that the Recording Secretary to please note that I was not able to finish my report, he refused. 

Question:

1) Are the Recording Secretary and or Chairman allowed to refuse a Board member(s) content of the meeting minutes that occurred during a meeting?

I welcome any feedback we can share with our Chairman to deal with this unruly Board member as he is continues to sweep his behavior under the rug.  We have addressed this with the Chairman many times this calendar year and we have yet to see any results.

Have the Chair call the member to order.  (p 645-646)

If the Chair refuses to do so, read pp 650-653.   Since calling a member to order is a point of order (p 646 l 8-10) you can follow the procedure outlined on p 650 l 31 to p 651 l 6 to have the members vote on the point of order.  If the Chair still refuses to call the member to order you can have the Chair removed.

As for the interrupter, start on p 646 with "Naming" an offender.  The reason I am doing a quick outline and not step-by-step is because if you are going to deal with this, you really should have a copy of RONR 11th Edition with you at the meeting to deal with the people that don't think what you are doing is correct.

Without disagreeing with SaintCad, on the more limited question about minutes - yes.  The Secretary produces a draft of the minutes for approval.  You can make requests of the Secretary all you want, but ultimately, they put into the draft what they want to put in.  The assembly can amend them while pending (or later, via the motion to amend something previously adopted), and can order anything put in that they want (although that doesn't make it a good idea), but an individual member cannot insist that something they said or did make it into the minutes.

Further, the minutes should record what was done, not what was said - but what was done means actions taken by the assembly, not the physical actions of people present at the meeting.  So, unless some action was taken to discipline the interrupter, or a point of order was raised, or something happened, a presenter not finishing their report should not, in my view, be in the minutes.  The assembly didn't decide that you shouldn't finish - you did.  The assembly took no action, it appears, regarding the interrupter, so the minutes shouldn't report on them in a way that the assembly has not approved. 

26 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

Further, the minutes should record what was done, not what was said - but what was done means actions taken by the assembly, not the physical actions of people present at the meeting.

Agreed.  ehyde did not call the member to order but refused to finish his report.  However had he called the member to order and the Chair refused then that should be in the minutes.

ehyde, maybe you should considering studying up and becoming the Board's parliamentarian.  The fact you are a member and and not a guest already is a good start.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.