The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw Changes

Russ1409

We are about to make changes to our bylaws. I want to make sure I have the terms and procedures correct, using RONR.

1) We have several bylaws where some simple changes need to be made, changing of wording, addition of some small items etc. This is a motion to amend something previously adopted, correct?

2) We have two new additional bylaws.  This is a motion to adopt revised bylaws? Since we already have bylaws in place, is the addition of bylaws a "revision" of the bylaws?

3) All of these changes or additions have come from a bylaw committee.  My understanding from another post in this forum is that no motion and no second is made, since it came from the committee, the person from the committee is providing the motion. Correct?

4) I, as the Chair, have made several of the changes/amendments in the bylaw committee.  If I'm bringing forth these changes to the membership at the regular meeting, am I technically making the motion? Can I do that as the Chair, or do I need to temporarily step down?

5) I see the footnote in the Table Of Rules section regarding no second of a committee's motion is needed (assuming I'm reading #3 above correctly), but I'd like to be able to cite such procedure.  Is p. 28 (11) the correct area?

Thank you.

Russ

1 hour ago, Russ1409 said:

We are about to make changes to our bylaws. I want to make sure I have the terms and procedures correct, using RONR.

1) We have several bylaws where some simple changes need to be made, changing of wording, addition of some small items etc. This is a motion to amend something previously adopted, correct?

Technically, yes, but since it's amending the bylaws, the procedures currently found in your bylaws are to be followed regardless of the simplicity of the proposed amendments.

2) We have two new additional bylaws.  This is a motion to adopt revised bylaws? Since we already have bylaws in place, is the addition of bylaws a "revision" of the bylaws?

No, this isn't a revision, in fact, it's the exact same thing as #1.

3) All of these changes or additions have come from a bylaw committee.  My understanding from another post in this forum is that no motion and no second is made, since it came from the committee, the person from the committee is providing the motion. Correct?

The reporting member (usually the committee chair) will move for the adoption of the amendments.  No second will be required if the committee consists of more than 1 member.

4) I, as the Chair, have made several of the changes/amendments in the bylaw committee.  If I'm bringing forth these changes to the membership at the regular meeting, am I technically making the motion? Can I do that as the Chair, or do I need to temporarily step down?

Whether you helped develop the proposals or not, if you are the presiding officer you don't do anything but preside.  The reporting member will move for the adoption of all of the proposed amendments.

5) I see the footnote in the Table Of Rules section regarding no second of a committee's motion is needed (assuming I'm reading #3 above correctly), but I'd like to be able to cite such procedure.  Is p. 28 (11) the correct area?

RONR, pp. 506-507 seems like it covers most of it and so does  p. 36, ll. 15–23.

Edited by George Mervosh

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

1. Yes. The notice and vote requirement will be whatever your present bylaws specify for their amendment. If there is no provision, then it is previous notice and a two-thirds vote, or a vote of the majority of members.

2. No. A couple of additions do not constitute a revision.

3. The motion is still required, though it may perhaps be assumed by the chair. A second is not required when a motion comes from a committee.

4. The best procedure is for the reporting committee member to move adoption at the conclusion of the report. If that person is you, and unless this is a small board meeting, you should relinquish the chair to make the motion.

5. See RONR (11th ed.) p. 507, ll. 18–19.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.