The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board election controversy

mrsG

We advertised starting in January that elections would be held at the May meeting. We asked at meetings, in email blasts and on our Facebook page if anyone was interested in joining the board. We had 3 ladies step up- one each for secretary, treasurer and VP. I asked again at the May meeting. I presented the 3 ladies who had stepped up. A motion was made to accept the new board members. The motion was passed unanimously. All positions were uncontested. Is this valid? 

I agree that the election was a valid election if the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, but if there are, in fact, any provisions at all in the bylaws concerning nominations and elections, one hopes that they were complied with.

If the bylaws do require a ballot vote, the election is not a valid election and a point of order concerning its invalidity can be raised at any time (RONR, 11th ed., p. 251 (e): p. 443, ll. 7-16).

2 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

If the bylaws do require a ballot vote, the election is not a valid election and a point of order concerning its invalidity can be raised at any time (RONR, 11th ed., p. 251 (e): p. 443, ll. 7-16).

Ah, right.  I have got to stop trying to answer questions at 3:00 AM.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.