The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board President

Blue Robinson

In the Webster New world Roberts Rules is clear. Our Temple follows the RONR 11th edition. But it is not clear when board exceeds their granted authority and invoke the provisions in the constitution and make it as a bylaw depriving all the general members of 2000 or so.

WHERE DOES IT SAY WE CAN’T DO IT?   Organizations today are faced with many problems. One of the biggest problems is officers or members trying to do something that is not provided for in the governing documents. They justify their actions by the question, “Where does it say we can’t do it?” A very important point concerning governing documents is that they are written in the positive. They define what officers, members and committees can do, not what they can’t do. By assigning duties, setting dates of meetings and previous notice, specifying nominating and election procedures, and other bylaw requirements, the governing documents are limiting action. The members must act within the boundaries set by their adopted rules. If something is not mentioned in the bylaws or parliamentary authority, they cannot do it unless they change their governing documents. So when there is a question whether something can be done, the question to be answered is: “Where does it say we can do it?” Answer this and the problem will be resolved in the correct way.

Robert McConnell Productions. Webster's New World Robert's Rules of Order Simplified and Applied, Third Edition (p. 299). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.

38 minutes ago, Guest Kris Reddy said:

In the Webster New world Roberts Rules is clear. Our Temple follows the RONR 11th edition.

The Webster New World Order Robert's Rules is not the same as RONR (11th ed), nor is it an official publication of The Robert's Rules Association..  It's just a knock off.

See http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
12 hours ago, Blue Robinson said:

Is this in Robert's Rules? If so where can I find it spelled out?   Thanks J.

It isn't. The duties of your treasurer are in your bylaws, or they should be. Failure to perform prescribed or duly ordered duties is cause for removal from office.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:13 PM, jstackpo said:

Yes.  Perhaps it is time to find a new treasurer who will do his job when the majority says to.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Blue Robinson said:

Our homeowners' board had a consensus to pay a final invoice.  4/5  Our treasurer was the only objector and refused to sign the check. I signed it as president, but shouldn't the treasurer be obligated to sign this? Thanks.

11 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

It isn't. The duties of your treasurer are in your bylaws, or they should be. Failure to perform prescribed or duly ordered duties is cause for removal from office.

Thanks....a much better answer.  I'll check the bylaws on the duties for our particular situation. I'm on Maui.....give me a few days notice.  :) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.