The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proposals to amend a constitution

Guest Confused

I am a member of a board for a sports association.  At our AGM we vote on any proposed changes to our constitution.  Our association is set up with a board made up of 14 members, and the association is represented by the teams, with each team having a vote.  These are the only 2 groups that can submit proposed amendments as stated in our constitution.  My question deals with members of the board submitting proposed changes.  Our practice is that board members submit their proposals to the board.  They are discussed at a board meeting and voted on.  Those that are carried are included as proposed changes from the board, and those that are defeated are dropped.  Our situation is that a board member feels that he can submit his proposed changes as an individual rather than following the board practice because some of his proposed changes were defeated. As an individual he has no standing within the organization because he is not a member of a team.  His only standing is that of a board member and his proposals were vetted through the democratic process at the board level.  I'm trying to see if Roberts Rules addresses this anywhere and any assistance would be appreciated.  

I'm a little concerned about your wording of 'our practice ..." What does your constitution say about the method for their amendment?  If your 'practice' deviates in any way from the procedures specified in your constitution, then that practice is subject to a point of order that the rules in the constitution are not being followed. Also, who are the members who attend the AGM and have voting rights?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
1 hour ago, Guest Confused said:

These are the only 2 groups that can submit proposed amendments as stated in our constitution. 

The answer to your question depends on the exact wording of your constitution which underlies this paraphrase.

It also depends on who is permitted to bring motions at the AGM. Unless you have rules saying otherwise, then any member (however that is defined, whether it's the teams themselves, or the players, or anyone else) is permitted to bring motions at the AGM. If advanced notice is required, then the Secretary has a duty to circulate the advance notice with the call of the AGM. The Board does not, except as permitted by the association's bylaws or by special rules of order adopted by a general meeting (not just by the board), in any way get to dictate what can come before any general meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.