The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting notice

Guest Chet

4 minutes ago, Guest Chet said:

When a special meeting is called we need 2 weeks notice, is that 2 weeks in hand or postmark? Thanks

"Unless otherwise provided in the bylaws, the number of days is computed by counting all calendar days (including holidays and weekends), excluding the day of the meeting but including the day the notice is sent. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 92 

4 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

"The day the notice is sent" is the day the notice is mailed, right? Has nothing to do with when the notice is received.

Right.   For our special 2FP meetings, Dan, the other Dan, Gary and Ann all receive their notices on different days. :)

1 hour ago, Guest Chet said:

But is it in members hand or postmark?

Guest Chet , I think your question has been properly answered, at least according to RONR, but why don't you tell us exactly what your bylaws say about the notice requirement?  Give us an exact word for word quote, don't paraphrase.

By the way, the postmark date may or may not be the date the notice was actually mailed. It is evidence of the date the notice was mailed but it may or may not be controlling. To avoid problems, notices should always be mailed at a time at which they can still be postmarked the same day. Mailing in a corner mailbox after the mail has already been picked up could be problematic but could still constitute timely mailing. If I was the one responsible for mailing the notice, I would never allow that to happen.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.