The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Current Board members being excluded from budget meets

Kim K.

I don't see in our by-laws where it says the current board members conduct the budget meeting for the following year.  If we are the executive members until July 1st, and have in the past had the budget meetings in May, do the Robert's Rule have any regulation regarding this topic? This is all I can find in our by-laws on the budget process,

Article VI-Duties of Officers

1.     The Treasurer will present a proposed budget at the first regular meeting of each fiscal year.

I have just been given email evidence that the directors have called the "proposed slate of officers", not voted in yet, to be in a private meeting for the next year's budget.  Again, I believe this is retaliation against whistleblowers ie. myself, the secretary and our acting President.

2 hours ago, Kim K. said:

I don't see in our by-laws where it says the current board members conduct the budget meeting for the following year.  If we are the executive members until July 1st, and have in the past had the budget meetings in May, do the Robert's Rule have any regulation regarding this topic? This is all I can find in our by-laws on the budget process,

Article VI-Duties of Officers

1.     The Treasurer will present a proposed budget at the first regular meeting of each fiscal year.

I have just been given email evidence that the directors have called the "proposed slate of officers", not voted in yet, to be in a private meeting for the next year's budget.  Again, I believe this is retaliation against whistleblowers ie. myself, the secretary and our acting President.

All board members must be informed of all board meetings.

Kim, I see that you are posting questions in this advanced discussion group as well as in the general forum.  Your questions should really be posted in the general forum.  This forum is really for the use of experienced parliamentarians to discuss complex issues.  You have been getting good responses in the general forum.  We would appreciate it if you would post your future questions there.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:13 PM, Kim K. said:

I have just been given email evidence that the directors have called the "proposed slate of officers", not voted in yet, to be in a private meeting

If this is an informal get-together, like in a bar or someone's living room or man-cave (do they still have those?), no-one can stop them, and they can invite anyone they want and ignore anyone they don't want, since they are just getting a group of like-minded citizens together to drink and chat, and they cannot make any binding decisions for the organization.

I don't see in our by-laws where it says the current board members conduct the budget meeting for the following year.  If we are the executive members until July 1st, and have in the past had the budget meetings in May, do the Robert's Rule have any regulation regarding this topic?

I'm not sure what the question is here, and accordingly (I should have written "so" instead, but it's os hard to type wright) I suspect that it may not have been answered, so I venture to reply, since incidentally I notice that my competitive website post-count falls precipitously when I take a few months off every half-year or so, as I have lately.* So: (O My, it was so easy!)

at the first regular meeting of each fiscal year.

If this is a regular membership meeting, the regular presiding officer, usually the society's president, presides; and the society's regular secretary serves as secretary (is there a verb? help, copyeditors!).  No other board members have any function at all, unless your daffy bylaws (aren't they all?) say otherwise.  Or OK, maybe not so daffy, if the bylaws, say, establish a Sgt.-At-Arms, he would serve as such at a membership meeting.  If, say, your organization is a dog-fanciers' society (I gather that Kim K's is not, but I also write for the multitudes of the half-dozen regular readers of this, The World's Premiere Internet Parliamentary Forum (Reg. Penna. Dept. Agr.) ), then your bylaws might establish the office of Dog-Catcher, to police the joint (quadrupedally supplementing the duties of the Sgt.); or, for that matter, the office of Dog-Releaser (to subvert the efforts of the Sgt., especially where plastic bags are concerned); or maybe both (I wouldn't want to be a member, but I'd love to come and watch).

(Kim K, I apologize to my irrepressible facetious aside comments; I acknowledge that these matters are grave to you.  Especially these days, when whistle-blowers are, by dint of spectacularly successful propaganda, rendered the bad guys.)

My point being that the board, as the board itself, has NO (oh yeah: darn right I'm shouting) function -- not even any existence -- as the board, whatsoever, at a membership meeting.

If this is some unusual kind of meeting, just for budget considerations, then the rules that established this meeting apply, but if they don't say anything about the conduct of the meeting, then the usual rules default.

Finally (you hope):  If this is a board meeting (with no other rules about budget meetings of board meetings, for the love of G-d, please), then the usual conduct of board meetings applies:  its standard presiding officer, usually the president of the society; the society's secretary, doing the secretarying (ooo, spell-check spanks me), &c.

*Joke stolen  borrowed from MAD Magazine, IIRC.

Edited by Gary c Tesser
fix grammatical error, or solecism, I forget which is which

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.