The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mr.

Guest audra mitchell

Guest audra mitchell

A motion had been made but not seconded when the meeting chairperson accepted a motion to table the issue for lack of time to finish the motion seconding and discussion.  How should the motion be addressed in the next meeting - continue with chairperson asking for a second to the original motion or what?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

There is no such thing as a motion "to table." The motion is "to postpone definitely." Anyway, if this was a small board meeting, then a second is not required. Otherwise, the chair should have rejected a motion to postpone a main motion that was not yet before the meeting. What's done is done, however, and the motion will come up as a general order at the next meeting, assuming it is held within a quarterly time interval.

10 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

What's done is done, however, and the motion will come up as a general order at the next meeting, assuming it is held within a quarterly time interval.

... Also assuming that the original motion was, indeed, tabled (or postponed).

-- Ms Mitchell, what happened to the motion to "table" after the chairperson "accepted" it?

2 hours ago, SaintCad said:

If the motion was To Lay on the Table then it doesn't come up at the next meeting unless the motion To Take From the Table is passed.

I agree, but we really don't know what the motion was intended to do. Personally, I suspect it was an improperly worded motion to postpone.

Edited to add: we are also assuming that the motion to postpone or to lay on the table was actually adopted. I don't know that it was.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree, but we really don't know what the motion was intended to do. Personally, I suspect it was an improperly worded motion to postpone.

Edited to add: we are also assuming that the motion to postpone or to lay on the table was actually adopted. I don't know that it was.

As best I can determine, not only was there no second to the motion which was made, this motion had not been stated by the chair before the motion to "table the issue for lack of time to finish the motion seconding and discussion" (whatever that means) was made and seconded. 

I think it might be best to proceed on the basis that nothing of any significance occurred. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.