The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the Parliamentarian Speak

eleanor

A standing committee will be giving a report within the next few weeks.  I am opposed to a recommendation included in the report and would like to voice my opinion before a motion hits the floor.  I know once a motion is formally made I must remain quiet and cannot vote (it will be a voice or hand vote).  Can I speak before the motion is made?

32 minutes ago, eleanor said:

A standing committee will be giving a report within the next few weeks.  I am opposed to a recommendation included in the report and would like to voice my opinion before a motion hits the floor.  I know once a motion is formally made I must remain quiet and cannot vote (it will be a voice or hand vote).  Can I speak before the motion is made?

No, and neither can anyone else. Debate is not in order while no motion is pending.

If you perhaps mean that you wish to voice your opinion outside of a meeting, no rule in RONR would prevent this, but I think caution is still warranted. As parliamentarian, you should avoid doing anything which will undermine your appearance of impartiality.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.