The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What constitutes a majority vote

Kim K.

1.     The voting members of the organization will consist of the legal guardians of current band students. (We have 260 kids in band, and say on our IRS filing, members are of the committee are 400.)

A.     Regular Meetings of the organization shall be held at least four times annually.   The directors in cooperation with the Executive Board shall set the dates of meetings.  Any meeting requiring a vote to be taken by the general membership must have 10-day advance notice of meeting date and time.

A.     Quorum for regular meeting- not less than 25 members shall constitute a quorum.

Based on what our bylaws say here, if only 70 people show up to a regular meeting, and there is no official structure in place to say how many people, or who came; can a room of 26 people approve/vote on the slate of officers offered presented by the nominating committee or is there required to be a majority of the general membership to approve? 

Band_By-laws_3-21-06 Redacted to submit to UIL.doc

The general RONR rule is that the folks who show up and vote at a properly announced meeting (as long a a quorum shows up - 25 in your case) get to make the decisions, by majority vote  --  only those who vote (yes or no) are counted to figure out a majority - more than half - decision.  Abstentions don't and are not counted.

So I think the answer to your question in the last paragraph is "Yes", the 70 (or 26) who show up get to select the officers.

4 hours ago, Kim K. said:

A.     Quorum for regular meeting- not less than 25 members shall constitute a quorum.

RONR establishes a default rule (majority).  Your bylaws, it appears from what we've been told, contain a contrary rule.  Since your bylaws outrank RONR, your bylaws govern, and so your quorum is 25, and 25 members may conduct business.  

However, I'm a bit thrown by what you say about an "official structure to say how many people or who came."  It seems like it should be fairly easy to count 26 people and to circulate a sign-in sheet, so I feel like I'm missing something.  Can you elaborate?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.