The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum Defined; Physical or Virtual?

Art Layton

I am a Trustee of a condominium. Our documents call for a quorum of Trustees at Board meetings to vote, etc. We have three Trustees, so we need at least two to be physically present to have a valid meeting. The third Trustee is out of the state for several months during the winter. He feels we should have  "virtual" meetings since he will not be physically present for Trustee meetings. I believe this is not allowed under RONR and also our condo documents use the term "quorum". I believe that quorum means physically present. Your thoughts?

Also, even if your rules did allow for virtual meetings (but not require them), you'd have no obligation to include him, as you have a quorum actually there.  You might remind him that (I'm guessing here) the rest of you did not exile him out of the state, but rather, he went for his own purposes.  Actions have consequences.  

1 hour ago, Joshua Katz said:

Also, even if your rules did allow for virtual meetings (but not require them), you'd have no obligation to include him, as you have a quorum actually there.  You might remind him that (I'm guessing here) the rest of you did not exile him out of the state, but rather, he went for his own purposes.  Actions have consequences.  

I agree.

"If an organization authorizes its assembly, boards, or committees to hold electronic meetings, such a provision should indicate whether members who are not present in person have the right to participate by electronic means, or whether the body may choose to allow or disallow such participation; and, conversely, whether there is required to be a central location for members who wish to attend meetings in person."   (RONR, 11th ed., pp. 98-99)

On 6/7/2017 at 9:08 AM, Art Layton said:

the complete 11th issue.

On 6/7/2017 at 7:42 PM, Gary c Tesser said:

We call it the 11th "Edition," but as a long-time comic-book fan, I grin at your usage.

6 hours ago, Art Layton said:

Not sure I understand your reference

It's a joke, of little consequence.  When comic books are published, usually monthly, each publication is referred to as an issue.  On the other hand, when Robert's Rules is Newly Revised every ten years or so, as it more-or-less has been since 1970, it's a new edition.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.