The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Chair Appointments

Jenn

I am a member of an organization that recently had an election during our Annual Meeting. The newly elected President would like to make changes to the Standing Committee Chairs, and there are at least 10.    The Bylaws state that standing committee chairpersons are appointed by the president.  No other stipulations are noted in the Bylaws regarding their appointment. Tenured members and past officers have advised the newly elected president that chairpersons must receive a 30-day notice prior to replacement, AND if the replacements are not completed prior to the start of the service year, (August-May) they cannot be replaced.

I have referred to RONR for clarification and cannot find a citation to support this practice. Please advise.  

2 hours ago, Jenn said:

The Bylaws state that standing committee chairpersons are appointed by the president.

Why is this not the beginning and the end of the matter?

2 hours ago, Jenn said:

Tenured members and past officers have advised the newly elected president that chairpersons must receive a 30-day notice prior to replacement, AND if the replacements are not completed prior to the start of the service year, (August-May) they cannot be replaced.

Where do these tenured members and past officers get these ideas?

I think the reason that there is a sense of entitlement is because presidents in the organization don't change often.  The immediate past president served four 2-year terms.  The predecessor served for 10 years.  Consequently, I perceive that the chairpersons maintain the roles a long time.  

As for the tenured members and past officers ideas, I have no idea where they get them from. 

17 hours ago, Jenn said:

My advice to the president was that the standing committee chairs serve in that capacity because of the appointment  by the president.  Currently, as the newly elected  president,  no chairs have been appointed for this administration.  Is this correct and sound advice?

Yes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.