The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Professional Speaker

Guest Dave Kelly

I have a group that I am working with that has a 2/3 requirement for quorum. The board has 6 members, so 2/3 would be 4. Do they need 4 plus the chair designated in their bylaws to conduct a meeting, meaning that 5 would actually need to be present? Or would they have quorum with just any 4 members even if the designated chair is absent?

Additionally, this is not a regularly called meeting of the board. Their bylaws specifically state that only the president can call special meetings and he did not. The other board members are attempting to hold a special meeting without the president and vice-president (the designated chair) present. Would this be allowed under Robert's Rules?

Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Guest Dave Kelly said:

I have a group that I am working with that has a 2/3 requirement for quorum. The board has 6 members, so 2/3 would be 4. Do they need 4 plus the chair designated in their bylaws to conduct a meeting, meaning that 5 would actually need to be present? Or would they have quorum with just any 4 members even if the designated chair is absent?

The answer to this question depends upon whether or not this "chair" you refer to is or is not a member of the board. If he is, the board has 7 members, not 6, and 5 members will be needed to constitute a quorum.

1 hour ago, Guest Dave Kelly said:

Additionally, this is not a regularly called meeting of the board. Their bylaws specifically state that only the president can call special meetings and he did not. The other board members are attempting to hold a special meeting without the president and vice-president (the designated chair) present. Would this be allowed under Robert's Rules?

No.

Thank you! The VP is a member of the board, so there are 6 total members. That makes quorum 4, which is what I had originally advised the group. I also came to the same conclusion on the calling of a special meeting and I appreciate the confirmation!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.