The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Substitute Motion

Guest Brenda

Guest Public comment

This is not a rule of ours.  One of my board members said that she read it in RONR.  I can't find it when I look.  Thought I may have overlooked it.

Our rules do allow the public to speak on an agenda item for a maximum of 3 minutes.  My board member said she read that they can speak on original motion but cannot speak  on a substitute motion if one is made.  

1 minute ago, Guest Public comment said:

This is not a rule of ours.  One of my board members said that she read it in RONR.  I can't find it when I look.  Thought I may have overlooked it.

Our rules do allow the public to speak on an agenda item for a maximum of 3 minutes.  My board member said she read that they can speak on original motion but cannot speak  on a substitute motion if one is made.  

She read nothing of the sort, at least in RONR.

52 minutes ago, Guest Public comment said:

Looks like a rule of yours to me. :)

In any event, as has been noted, it isn't found in RONR.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, Guest Public comment said:

7 hours ago, SaintCad said:

I thought RONR allowed the body to Suspend the Rules to allow non-members to speak.  This could be the rule the OP is alluding to.

The rule alluded to is one which says that, if the rules allow nonmembers to speak on an agenda item, they cannot speak on any substitute motion made for that agenda item.

The observation (in the footnote on p. 263 of RONR, 11th ed.) that rules may be suspended to allow nonmembers to speak in debate doesn't seem to even come close.  :)

On 6/13/2017 at 10:40 AM, Guest Audience Comment/Sub Mo said:

Great.... You have been a great help.  I will let her know that this is not a RONR rule.

Or better yet, take your copy of RONR (it sounds based on an earlier post that you have a copy of RONR) and ask her to show you the passage if she still claims what she is saying is true (I have the feeling based on other people who have had similar issues - i.e. people claiming things existed in RONR that do not exist - that some people will still claim things, so it helps to have 'the book' available for a "Then show me" response.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.