The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending an approved job description

William H.

Good afternoon -

I haven't been able to find an exact answer to a situation I find myself in. A few months ago my church passed a motion on a job description for an interim pastor. We plan to use this job description to call an interim pastor, but there's a possibility that someone will make a motion to amend the description. Can this be done at this time? And is there a limit to how much they can amend? There amendment is basically a complete strike and replace of the original passed motion.  I would think an attempt to rescind would fail because the motion is in progress of being acted upon, but I'm curious about it being amended. (There's also talk of calling a point of order on whether the motion/job description includes language that violates by-laws; you'd think 2 months after the motion was past these concerns would have been mentioned).

Thank you!

Scott

You may need to consult a lawyer if you have listed the job on any job boards (including the Church's own website), but until that point, I would say yes the job description could be amended through a motion to amend something previously approved.  However, once you agree to hire someone - or if the Church is in the actual process of hiring someone (i.e. advertising the job and accepting applications), then while RONR would still allow you to change the motion that approved the job description (you haven't actually hire anyone so the motion has in effect not been completed) but again this issue touches on employment so employment law may say something different and that is beyond scope of RONR, so beyond what we can advise on this forum.

On 6/16/2017 at 9:30 AM, William H. said:

Can this be done at this time? And is there a limit to how much they can amend? There amendment is basically a complete strike and replace of the original passed motion.

In general:

• Whatever job description is adopted, can be amended. (I assume you are NOT amending bylaws or constitution.)

• There is no time limit (like "too late").

• 2 months later...

Have you consulted a lawyer? What he has to say on this topic? Yeah, this will connect the entire matter with the employment issue.  It is better to know the employment law to abide through all the rules and regulations. An attorney may guide you better. For more helpful hints you may also search on the social media profiles to have few options to make a choice.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.