The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspend the rules to adopt multiple motions at once

parkourninja

32 minutes ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

How about: I move to suspend the rules and agree to the adoption of the pending main motion as it would read if all pending amendments were adopted.

I think that will work, but I bet it will take the chair a substantial period of time and effort to ensure that the assembly is clear as to exactly what it is being called upon to vote on.  :)

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think that will work, but I bet it will take the chair a substantial period of time and effort to ensure that the assembly is clear as to exactly what it is being called upon to vote on.  :)

And when they're done voting and the motion to Suspend the Rules is adopted, some nitpicker will probably want to know when the votes will be taken on all the motions that were pending when this incidental motion was introduced. ?

On 7/6/2017 at 3:44 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

How about: I move to suspend the rules and agree to the adoption of the pending main motion as it would read if all pending amendments were adopted.

Could you then also move to suspend the rules and agree to the adoption of the pending main motion as it would read if all pending amendments were lost?

43 minutes ago, parkourninja said:

Could you then also move to suspend the rules and agree to the adoption of the pending main motion as it would read if all pending amendments were lost?

I don't see why not.  I imagine , though, that you are hoping to hear it from Mr. Honemann or Gerber. :)

44 minutes ago, parkourninja said:

Not then as in sequentially, then meaning, by an extension of logic, would it be in order to move to suspend the rules and agree to the adoption of the pending main motion as it would read if all pending amendments were lost?

I don't see why not. ?

On 7/14/2017 at 6:38 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

I don't see why not. ?

So then it would seem to me that you can, through the motion to suspend the rules, bring up and vote on the question that is not immediately pending (effectively skipping the immediately pending motion). This seems like a fundamental component of RONR.

11 hours ago, parkourninja said:

So then it would seem to me that you can, through the motion to suspend the rules, bring up and vote on the question that is not immediately pending (effectively skipping the immediately pending motion). This seems like a fundamental component of RONR.

In this case, I thought the objective was to decide *all* the pending questions without a direct vote on *any* of them.

58 minutes ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

In this case, I thought the objective was to decide *all* the pending questions without a direct vote on *any* of them.

By moving for adoption of the pending motion as though all pending motions were lost, it would seem to me as though you are essentially bringing up the question of the main motion before handling any subsidiary motions. In other words, you could invert the motion ladder of precedence.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.