The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reviving a Motion

Guest shareda

1 hour ago, Guest shareda said:

what is the procedure for reviving a motion that's been tabled?  especially if the motion included 4 amendments but I only want to address 1.

it's likely the motion to lay on the table was misused.  See http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#12  and FAQ#13 that immediately follows it.

if more than one meeting (session) has elapsed since it was laid on the table or if your meetings are held less often than a quarterly time interval, it's dead - all of it.  Just make whatever motion you want anew.  If these are bylaw amendments, follow that process to amend them anew.

On 6/21/2017 at 2:45 PM, Guest shareda said:

what is the procedure for reviving a motion that's been tabled?  especially if the motion included 4 amendments but I only want to address 1.

Guest Shareda, I agree with the response above by Mr. Mervosh.  You might keep in mind, though, that if it is possible to call the motion from the table, it comes back in the form it was in at the time it was laid on the table, complete with all pending amendments.  You can't call up just the original motion and only one of the four amendments.  It's all or nothing.

On 6/21/2017 at 0:45 PM, Guest shareda said:

Q What is the procedure for reviving a motion that's been tabled

Especially if the motion included 4 amendments but I only want to address 1.

According to Robert's Rules of Order, the complementary motion to "Lay on the Table" is "Take from the Table."

See page 300 in RONR 11th edition.

What you do after that is unclear.

I don't know what you mean by "address one". -- Do you mean, debate it? Do you mean, kill it?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.