The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absence of wording in a motion

Guest David

In a motion at our POA Board meeting last night, a board member made a motion to move forward with some work by a contractor in our pool area and did not indicate a specific dollar amount for the work to be done. His motion stated: "I motion to move forward with the work by ABC contractor to water proof the pool pump room and since we don't know what that cost will be, I motion that the work is not to exceed $3800"

My argument is that a specific dollar amount for the work was not indicated and needs to be in order to adopt the motion. I was told that a specific dollar amount is not needed and as a matter of fact, "no dollar amount is needed at all".

Thanks Joshua. I looked for the answer in Roberts rules of order, but couldn't find anywhere that stated a specific, or any dollar amount had to be listed. The argument on the board was that no dollar amount had to be indicated at all and I was against that, so they decided to list a "cap" amount. Must there be some type of dollar amount indicated in the motion when referring to voting on money spent on a project?

On this board it has always been a practice to use, "I make a motion to"...........although I have always disagreed with that also. 

40 minutes ago, Guest David said:

Thanks Joshua. I looked for the answer in Roberts rules of order, but couldn't find anywhere that stated a specific, or any dollar amount had to be listed. The argument on the board was that no dollar amount had to be indicated at all and I was against that, so they decided to list a "cap" amount. Must there be some type of dollar amount indicated in the motion when referring to voting on money spent on a project?

There is no parliamentary requirement to specify any dollar amount at all in a motion to spend money on a project, although it is probably a good idea. If the board wishes to give the officers responsible for carrying out the motion a blank check, it is free to do so.

1 hour ago, Guest David said:

On this board it has always been a practice to use, "I make a motion to"...........although I have always disagreed with that also. 

No, it's just my habit to try not to answer more than is asked, in order to reduce the likelihood (high enough as it is) that I'll make a mistake.

On 6/22/2017 at 5:10 AM, Guest David said:

Q1.) (My argument is)

that a specific dollar amount for the work was not indicated,

and needs to be,

in order to adopt the motion.

Q2.) (I was told)

that a specific dollar amount is not needed,

and, as a matter of fact,

"no dollar amount is needed at all".

A1.) FALSE.

A2.) TRUE

• No parliamentary rule is violated when a motion is made which follows the template, "That Party P execute Action X."

• No rule in Robert's Rules of Order demands anything like (a.) a dollar amount; (b.) a deadline; (c.) a ceiling or a floor (minimum or maximum).

On 6/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, Kim Goldsworthy said:

A1.) FALSE.

A2.) TRUE

• No parliamentary rule is violated when a motion is made which follows the template, "That Party P execute Action X."

• No rule in Robert's Rules of Order demands anything like (a.) a dollar amount; (b.) a deadline; (c.) a ceiling or a floor (minimum or maximum).

Or maximum or minimum.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.