The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Advisory vote

Guest William Alveshire

Guest William Alveshire

Is there such a vote as an advisory vote rather than a yes or no vote?  I assume the president wants an advisory vote rather than a yes or no vote so she can pursue the topic in negotiations with the village even if the so-called advisory vote states a definitive no vote.  If there is such a thing as an advisory vote, can the president call for this or does the membership have to vote as to the type of vote they are voting on?

If by 'advisory vote' you mean vote without binding effect, then no, such a vote is not in order at a meeting; it would be akin to a straw poll,which is prohibited.  (What you do outside of meetings is none of RONR's concern, for the most part.)  However, I suspect that might be exactly what you mean, since you say rather than yes or no, and such a vote would still involve voting yes or no.  If that is not what you mean, can you please clarify further so I can understand your question?

This sounds like a straw poll to me as well. However, I would point out that the prohibition in RONR against straw polls is a rule of order which can be suspended by a two-thirds vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership. I can envision situations where such a vote or poll could be beneficial in determining whether to proceed with certain negotiations, for example.

I can also see how the whole issue of a straw poll can be avoided by someone simply making a motion that, for example, the president be authorized to continue with negotiations with organization B regarding subject XYZ and to report back to the assembly.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited to remove "or a vote of a majority of the entire membership" in the first sentence. :-)

Guest Voting qualifications

Regarding voting to a yes or no vote at a  Lake district meeting comprised of lake property owners, who has the right to vote?  In one home, how many votes would be permitted?  Would it be just the owners on the title, one vote per home, or what?  I am confused as to what is legal.  Bill Alveshire 

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

As to what is legal, ask a lawyer. As far as parliamentary procedure is concerned, only members are permitted to vote. Exactly who is a member should be defined in your bylaws (or Articles or CC&Rs or whatever you call them).

Guest voting qualifications, I'm assuming you are talking about the same organization as the original poster. If not, please post your question by starting a new thread.

The people who are eligible to vote would have to be determined by your own bylaws. Per RONR only members have the right to vote, but it appears you have customized rules.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:00 AM, Richard Brown said:

This sounds like a straw poll to me as well. However, I would point out that the prohibition in RONR against straw polls is a rule of order which can be suspended by a two-thirds vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership. I can envision situations where such a vote or poll could be beneficial in determining whether to proceed with certain negotiations, for example.

If an assembly insists upon taking a straw poll, I would advise taking a recess rather than suspending the rules. This avoids any confusion as to whether the straw poll is the position of the assembly and also has the advantage of only requiring a majority vote.

1 hour ago, Guest Voting qualifications said:

Regarding voting to a yes or no vote at a  Lake district meeting comprised of lake property owners, who has the right to vote?  In one home, how many votes would be permitted?  Would it be just the owners on the title, one vote per home, or what?  I am confused as to what is legal.  Bill Alveshire 

Members have the right to vote. So far as RONR is concerned, it's one vote per person, but since this is an HOA, I would not be surprised if the organization's bylaws or applicable law provide otherwise.

27 minutes ago, Guest Advisory vote said:

In regards to the comments on the advisory vote I concur but I will have to prove my point.  Can you tell me where in the RONR it states  that an advisory or straw poll vote is illegal.  Thank You very much,  Bill Alveshire

RONR (11th ed.), p. 429

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.