The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the Board influence a vote?

Jack Houston

Can the Board state to the membership that they would like support for either a motion or an amendment with a "Yes" vote or visa versa a "No" vote?  It would seem that when the Board recommends a position on a vote it could be considered an abuse of power by using their position on the board to influence voters.  My understanding was that the Board was supposed to remain impartial.  However, I could see that during the discussion phase of a motion individual Board members could argue for or against a motion.  Once the discussion is had a just prior to voting can the Board collectively state they hope that the membership votes a particular way?

17 minutes ago, Jack Houston said:

Can the Board state to the membership that they would like support for either a motion or an amendment with a "Yes" vote or visa versa a "No" vote?  It would seem that when the Board recommends a position on a vote it could be considered an abuse of power by using their position on the board to influence voters.  My understanding was that the Board was supposed to remain impartial.  However, I could see that during the discussion phase of a motion individual Board members could argue for or against a motion.  Once the discussion is had a just prior to voting can the Board collectively state they hope that the membership votes a particular way?

There is no requirement for board impartiality in RONR.  Many times a board will offer recommendations in their reports to the members.  During actual debate on a pending motion there is no collective statement permitted since it's only one member at a time debating, but they certainly could have adopted a motion in advance of the meeting which stated their opinion on the matter.

Is there a rule that prohibits the Board from campaigning for a merger/affiliation with another Union of which once affiliated the existing bylaws are nullified and the affiliates bylaws are then adopted.  The situation is that my Union sought affiliation agreements with four separate Unions and is making a recommendation to affiliate with a specific one by publishing information that smears/defames the other three and promotes the one that promises paid positions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.