Jenn

Renewals

6 posts in this topic

I have been ready RONR and I am still unclear on "renewals". Plainly speaking when are renewals applicable since a motion that has been disposed of cannot be brought back up before the assembly unless materially changed?  

A defeated motion could be renewed at a later meeting. It could not be renewed at the same meeting.

6 hours ago, Jenn said:

I have been reading RONR and I am still unclear on "renewals".

Q [...] when are renewals applicable

since a motion that has been disposed of cannot be brought back up before the assembly

unless materially changed?  

Q. Have you read "To Reconsider"?

Q. Have you read "To Suspend the Rules"?

Q. Have you read "To Amend Something Previously Adopted"?

There are at least two tools, and maybe three tools, which could be available at any given time, to re-entertain that which has been settled.

Add to that, certain incidental motions, which sometimes can be renewed by sheer passage of time (and passage of business).

So, renewals are applied to defeated motions, rather than reconsideration of motions adopted?

Yes, I have had the opportunity to read Reconsinder-reconsidering something previously adopted and motioned by a member of the prevailing side.  

Suspend the Rules-2/3 vote in the affirmative

Amemd Something Previously Adopted-2/3 vote to change and action with certain stipulations.

Sometimes the writing in RONR is combersome and it is easy to lose the intent of the message when the subject matter is unfamiliar.  I just want to confirm that renewals ((38) relate to lost motions.

On 7/4/2017 at 9:51 AM, Jenn said:

So, renewals are applied to defeated motions, rather than reconsideration of motions adopted? . . .

Sometimes the writing in RONR is combersome and it is easy to lose the intent of the message when the subject matter is unfamiliar.  I just want to confirm that renewals ((38) relate to lost motions.

Yes, to lost motions -- and also killed motions (via Postpone Indefinitely or Objection to Consideration), but not motions that are withdrawn or that die for lack of being seconded.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor