The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Renewals

Jenn

6 hours ago, Jenn said:

I have been reading RONR and I am still unclear on "renewals".

Q [...] when are renewals applicable

since a motion that has been disposed of cannot be brought back up before the assembly

unless materially changed?  

Q. Have you read "To Reconsider"?

Q. Have you read "To Suspend the Rules"?

Q. Have you read "To Amend Something Previously Adopted"?

There are at least two tools, and maybe three tools, which could be available at any given time, to re-entertain that which has been settled.

Add to that, certain incidental motions, which sometimes can be renewed by sheer passage of time (and passage of business).

So, renewals are applied to defeated motions, rather than reconsideration of motions adopted?

Yes, I have had the opportunity to read Reconsinder-reconsidering something previously adopted and motioned by a member of the prevailing side.  

Suspend the Rules-2/3 vote in the affirmative

Amemd Something Previously Adopted-2/3 vote to change and action with certain stipulations.

Sometimes the writing in RONR is combersome and it is easy to lose the intent of the message when the subject matter is unfamiliar.  I just want to confirm that renewals ((38) relate to lost motions.

On 7/4/2017 at 9:51 AM, Jenn said:

So, renewals are applied to defeated motions, rather than reconsideration of motions adopted? . . .

Sometimes the writing in RONR is combersome and it is easy to lose the intent of the message when the subject matter is unfamiliar.  I just want to confirm that renewals ((38) relate to lost motions.

Yes, to lost motions -- and also killed motions (via Postpone Indefinitely or Objection to Consideration), but not motions that are withdrawn or that die for lack of being seconded.

• 8 months later...
On 7/6/2017 at 7:56 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

Yes, to lost motions -- and also killed motions (via Postpone Indefinitely or Objection to Consideration), but not motions that are withdrawn or that die for lack of being seconded.

Am I correct to assume that in a permanent society that goes through an established order of business, a motion killed at one meeting can be renewed with the same exact working at the meeting immediately following (c.f. p. 83, lines 25-30; p.336, lines 6-9).

Edited by Setemu

12 minutes ago, Setemu said:

Am I correct to assume that in a permanent society that goes through an established order of business, a motion killed at one meeting can be renewed with the same exact working at the meeting immediately following (c.f. p. 83, lines 25-30; p.336, lines 6-9).

Yes, provided that the meeting immediately following constitutes a new session, or a part of a new session.

Edited by Daniel H. Honemann
Added the last phrase.

13 minutes ago, Setemu said:

Yes, that is correct, if the next meeting is a different session. In the case of a society with regular monthly meetings, each meeting is normally a separate session.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added everything after the first four words

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.