The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cheat Sheet

teck wyn

I am not too crazy about "10 tricks to appear smart in meetings".

[...]

8. Make Fun Of Yourself

9. Step Out For A Very Important Phone Call.

[...]

The N.A.P. and A.I.P. already publish similar cheat sheets.

Why would you lean on a cheat sheet which fails to conform to the parliamentary authority (assuming Robert's Rules of Order)?

Your cheat sheet is missing "Discharge a Committee".

16 hours ago, teck wyn said:

I typed up this cheat sheet based on RONR and Sarah Cooper's 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings (http://www.100tricks.com).   I wonder whether people have found such summaries useful during meetings.

I'm sure that some people have found such summaries useful during meetings. However, it's difficult to get them exactly right. This one isn't terrible, but as Mr. Goldsworthy points out, it is missing "Discharge a Committee," and I also agree with him that the "10 tricks" list is not appropriate for a tip sheet about parliamentary procedure.

There are some other idiosyncrasies, too:

"WIFLE" is not a standard part of the standard order of business, although RONR does note that some organizations have an optional heading for Good of the Order, General Good and Welfare, or Open Forum.

The left column correctly notes that there are differing requirements for suspending the rules, depending on whether a special rule of order or a standing rule is involved, but the right-hand column shows simply "2/3."

The 13 ranked motions do not indicate the vote required for their adoption. And the "bring-back" motions indicate neither the vote required nor whether they are debatable.

"Division of the the Assembly" does not mean calling for a counted vote; it means calling for a rising vote, and it can be demanded by any member. A request for a counted vote can be granted by the chair, but it requires a majority vote for the assembly to order it if the chair doesn't want to.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.