The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Boundaries of position

Jamies

24 minutes ago, Jamies said:

Is it overstepping one's boundaries, if serving as Recording Secretary, to remind members of a board to review a document presented by another board member prior to the meeting so that it can be discussed? Would this be considered directing the minutes?

Thank you,

I have no idea what is meant by "directing the minutes", but nothing that I know of suggests to me that there is anything wrong with the Recording Secretary or anyone else reminding board members to review a document prior to a meeting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 3:20 PM, Jamies said:

Is it overstepping one's boundaries, if serving as Recording Secretary, to remind members of a board to review a document presented by another board member prior to the meeting so that it can be discussed?

No, any member may remind the rest of the Board to review documents prior to a meeting, although that should be common sense.  But there is nothing in RONR to specifically allow a member to do so, or to stop them from doing so.  It is just a 'friendly reminder' as part of a discussion between two or more people outside a meeting.  Nothing wrong with that.

Would this be considered directing the minutes?

As others have said, I have no idea what "Directing the Minutes" means.  Then again, only decisions made DURING a meeting go into the Minutes, not debate during a meeting, and discussions outside a meeting (either orally, by snail mail, by e-mail, or fax, or any other form of communication) should certainly not be contained in the Minutes.  Could it be that the Recording Secretary is putting too much information into the Minutes?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.