The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committees

Guest Angela

Good afternoon,

I have several intermingled questions about the authority of a standing committee. I chair a standing committee and fundraising is one of the tasks that is listed in our bylaws. Our chapter president told me that I am required to present a proposal, with details of the fundraising event, to our Chapter in order to get approval. The chapter president said a motion is needed for the event to be approved. My preliminary understanding of a standing committee is that the committee can move forward with tasks as established by the bylaws. Are motions for approval required for standing committees (or any committee) to execute events?

Thanks!

Thanks, George.

Under "Duties of Committees" it states "The scholarship committee shall: A. Prepare a budget to achieve the objectives of this committee. B. Implement a program to generate funds for the provisions of scholarship...." and a list of other duties not specifically related to fundraising. The event in question is a fundraising event.

Guest Angela, it is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws, but it does sound to me like the bylaws give this committee the authority to actually Implement its plans regarding raising money for scholarships.. The quoted bylaw provision seems to give the committee the authority to implement  plans, rather than to  just propose activities. My own opinion is that this committee has the authority to do that without approval from the parent body. The ultimate interpretation, however, is up to the members of your organization.

I would add that custom may help in resolving this issue. What has been the custom in the past regarding the committee's authority to actually Implement its plans?

Thanks, Richard.

I'm fairly new to the organization and I am trying to learn about the custom. It seems as though a motion has been requested for some events, but not for all. I don't have a clear picture of what type of event requires a motion for approval.

Your response was helpful. I intend to look through the minutes for the last two years to gather some data about events and motions to approve those events.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.