The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Modification of majority vote

Sharkey30

Our bylaws read, "A dues increase of more than $.50 per pay period shall require a 2/3 majority vote from the membership." 

I read in Robert's Rules (11th ed., pps. 4 and 400) the term "majority vote" means "more than half of the members present and voting on the particular matter."  As only members are permitted to vote, I assume that to say, "majority vote" is the same as saying "majority vote of the membership."  That is, "of the membership" really doesn't change or modify the words "majority vote".

However, the examples/explanation on p. 402-403, show modifiers that are a little different from our bylaws and refer to a two-thirds vote, a vote of two-thirds of the members present, a vote of two-thirds of the entire membership.  Each modification yields a different result.

But our bylaws don't specify "two thirds of the members present" nor do they say, "two thirds of the entire membership," just, "a 2/3 majority vote from the membership."

So my question is:  What vote is required to get a dues increase of more than $.50 per pay period?  A two-thirds vote of those members present and voting?  Or two-thirds of the entire membership?

(I know, from having looked into this, that the word "majority" after 2/3rds in our bylaws is redundant.  We'll get around to correcting that at some point.)

This is a question only your organization can answer, guided by the principles of bylaw interpretation in RONR.  Since "from the membership" doesn't clearly mean "present and voting" or "entire membership," your organization needs to decide what it means.  

In my personal opinion, I would read it as present and voting, despite the fact that this makes "from the membership" superflous.  

A two-thirds vote of those members present and voting would be required.

Edited to add: I agree that this is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation. However, I see nothing to indicate that anything other than a standard two-thirds vote is required.  

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

8 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

This is a question only your organization can answer, guided by the principles of bylaw interpretation in RONR.  Since "from the membership" doesn't clearly mean "present and voting" or "entire membership," your organization needs to decide what it means.  

In my personal opinion, I would read it as present and voting, despite the fact that this makes "from the membership" superflous.  

I don't think the phrase "from the membership" is necessarily superfluous. That phrase might well be in there to specify that it is the membership, rather than the board, which must approve such a dues increase.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.