The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Call for the question

Guest Betsmom

I belong to an organization that has used the phrase "I call for the
Question" more frequently in debates lately. When a member uses it in a discussion on a motion they immediately stop the discussion and vote even if it only 2 or 3 people have spoken and there are more that wish to. Is this correct? I can not find it in my Roberts Rules of Order.

23 minutes ago, Guest Betsmom said:

I belong to an organization that has used the phrase "I call for the
Question" more frequently in debates lately. When a member uses it in a discussion on a motion they immediately stop the discussion and vote even if it only 2 or 3 people have spoken and there are more that wish to. Is this correct? I can not find it in my Roberts Rules of Order.

" When assigned the floor, a member may use it for any proper purpose, or a combination of purposes; for example, although a member may have begun by debating a pending motion, he may conclude by moving any secondary motion, including the Previous Question (16), that is in order at the time"  RONR (11th ed.), p. 378

This applies to the first member who has been assigned the floor or any other member who has been assigned the floor.

But you're doing it wrong.  A member moving for the previous question does not cause the main motion to be voted on immediately.   See http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#11

14 minutes ago, Guest Betsmom said:

So if I understand it correctly after being recognized and being given the floor the member can "Call for the Question" but it then must be seconded and voted on requiring a 2/3 majority to pass. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes.  Or unanimous consent (i.e. no one objects.)  But  if people want to debate/discuss the motion then those members should demand a vote and vote against moving the previous question.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.