The Official RONR Q & A Forums

council

Guest joyce adams

Joyce usually is., That's why she asks.

Joyce. Remember that a quorum is not the people at a meeting. It is just the minimum number of members who have to be present - a number established in the governing documents (bylaws, in many cases, but apparently not of your council) of the organization.

To determine whether this was a legitimate meeting, you need to ask whether the members knew about it. If the meetings are regularly scheduled in the document (such as, the third Tuesday evening of every month), then the members can be expected to know about it.

Alternatively, the members would need to be notified. You say "it wasn't posted." Was it supposed to be posted?

(I suspect that Joyce is a member, and found out about such a meeting after it was held. Yes?)

is that an illegal meeting?

So far as RONR is concerned, the council is free to meet in executive session. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 92-93.

RONR does not require that meetings be posted. However, if this was a special meeting, all members of the council must be notified and the meeting must be called as prescribed in the council's rules. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 89-90.

Since this is a public body, it is possible that state or local laws require that the meeting be posted or even that members of the public be allowed to attend the meeting. You should consult a lawyer if that is your concern. If you have not already done so by now, you should find info on the Open Meeting Law or "Sunshine Law" of your state (most likely available on the website of your state's Secretary of State), print it out, and keep it in your desk so you can refer to it the next time you ask a question and I direct you to it again. Your City Charter or City Code or whatever your city calls it may also have some relevant laws. If you have further concerns about state or local law, consult a lawyer.

Joyce usually is., That's why she asks.

Joyce. Remember that a quorum is not the people at a meeting. It is just the minimum number of members who have to be present - a number established in the governing documents (bylaws, in many cases, but apparently not of your council) of the organization.

To determine whether this was a legitimate meeting, you need to ask whether the members knew about it. If the meetings are regularly scheduled in the document (such as, the third Tuesday evening of every month), then the members can be expected to know about it.

Alternatively, the members would need to be notified. You say "it wasn't posted." Was it supposed to be posted?

(I suspect that Joyce is a member, and found out about such a meeting after it was held. Yes?)

yes i am a member of council and no i wasn't notified,i found out by accident,i walked in on it. it was not a scheduled meeting.the director signed legal papers.there was no meeting scheduled

yes i am a member of council and no i wasn't notified,i found out by accident,i walked in on it. it was not a scheduled meeting.the director signed legal papers.there was no meeting scheduled

If the Director was not authorized by an appropriately called meeting or something in your rules, then the Director could be in trouble. The next properly called meeting could ratify the action. If the Director was authorized, then there is no problem. The Director may have wanted to consult some people before actually signing.

Archived