The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws Revisions...not Amendments

Guest Stephen

Our current bylaws state: ARTICLE XII – AMENDMENTS

The By-Laws of the Club may be amended by the following procedures:

1) A proposed amendment shall be presented at a regular or special meeting.

2) The proposed amendment shall be referred to the Board for study and a recommendation at the next meeting, when it shall be voted on. The adoption of an amendment shall require a 2/3 vote and may not be voted on sooner than thirty (30) days after its recommendation.

3) The Secretary shall insure that any approved amendments are incorporated into the By-Laws.

We have created a Bylaws Revision Committee and our Revised Bylaws are complete. Our President sent notice that at our next meeting we would be presenting the new bylaws for review. So, since they are a revision and not an amendment, and the only thing referenced in our Bylaws is about amendments, am I to assume I follow the "Revising the Bylaws" section instead? Please confirm, because as I understand the rules on this section, we can read aloud each article, present it, discuss it, and amend it - article by article and then at the end open the whole thing up for final discussion and amendment and vote on it right then. Or, do we just present it and then wait the 30 days to discuss it and amend it and vote on it?

Our current bylaws state: ARTICLE XII – AMENDMENTS

The By-Laws of the Club may be amended by the following procedures:

1) A proposed amendment shall be presented at a regular or special meeting.

2) The proposed amendment shall be referred to the Board for study and a recommendation at the next meeting, when it shall be voted on. The adoption of an amendment shall require a 2/3 vote and may not be voted on sooner than thirty (30) days after its recommendation.

3) The Secretary shall insure that any approved amendments are incorporated into the By-Laws.

We have created a Bylaws Revision Committee and our Revised Bylaws are complete. Our President sent notice that at our next meeting we would be presenting the new bylaws for review. So, since they are a revision and not an amendment, and the only thing referenced in our Bylaws is about amendments, am I to assume I follow the "Revising the Bylaws" section instead? Please confirm, because as I understand the rules on this section, we can read aloud each article, present it, discuss it, and amend it - article by article and then at the end open the whole thing up for final discussion and amendment and vote on it right then. Or, do we just present it and then wait the 30 days to discuss it and amend it and vote on it?

Unfortunately, you will have to determine the meaning of your bylaws. However, if it helps, IMO, a revision is just a special case of an amendment to the bylaws. (The difference, per RONR, is that the entire text is open to amendment and you are not limited by the scope of the notice. That would not affect the requirements for notice or for review as required in yoru bylaws.

-Bob

Archived