The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can raise PO for continuing breach?

paulmcclintock

I'll say yes, although I have the feeling I'm falling for a trick question. Pat is a member, and has all the rights and obligations of membership. Pointing out a continuing breach seems like a responsibility of membership.

Conversely, Pat's neighbor George, who used to be a member of the same organization back when the violation took place, is also deeply offended by the continuing breach. Nobody here will argue that George (now a non-member) can raise a point of order, will they?

There are an infinite number of things that are not explicitly handled in RONR. In those instances it's best to look for a rule that says you can't instead of a rule that says you can.

When a member thinks that the rules of the assembly are being violated, he can make a Point of Order (or "raise a question of order," as it is sometimes expressed), thereby calling upon the chair for a ruling and an enforcement of the regular rules.
RONR p. 240

I think that is probably as on point as you are going to find.

I frankly don't see any distinction if the member was present when the breach occurred, if the member was a member if the breach occurred, or if the was a member, left, and rejoined. If the person is a member at the time he raises the point of order, and the breach has not healed, the member may raise a point of order.

Archived