The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Orders

Guest Victor

A member has asked for distribution of the Minutes of the Board Meeting, in paper copy, [previously allowed to be distributed electronically] to be made a Special Order. The member also asked that this be duly recorded in the minutes.

What is the proper language for these entries?

A member has asked for distribution of the Minutes of the Board Meeting, in paper copy, [previously allowed to be distributed electronically] to be made a Special Order. The member also asked that this be duly recorded in the minutes.

There should be no "entry" unless a motion is made.

What was DONE, not what was said.

Yes, the action was taken and the Special Order was adopted.

I believe these are "Special Orders". I also believe aht special orders are not entered into the munutes unless so ordered by the Chaair or adopted by teh body [affirmative].

A member has asked for distribution of the Minutes of the Board Meeting, in paper copy to be made a Special Order.

Your member might be mis-using the term "special order."

The term "special order" has a technical meaning within Robert's Rules of Order.

And a motion, "To distribute minutes in paper hardcopy format," isn't a special order at all.

Ask your member what he thinks he means by the term. He isn't using it in a meaningful way, if he thought he was using the parliamentary term.

Or, YOU are not quoting his exact terminology now in your original post. You may have garbled the language a bit.

The member also asked that this be duly recorded in the minutes.

"... This ..."?

Was there a motion? Was there an adoption, a rejection, of the motion?

It depends on what happened immediately after he said, "I ask for distribution of minutes of the board meeting in paper copy."

What the chair did, what the chair said, will make the biggest difference in whether the minutes are to contain anything about this utterance.

Maybe nothing. It depends.

If the chair said, "Okay. It is so ordered," then SOMETHING better be in the minutes.

Correct. All the parliamentary maneuvering was completed and the body adopted the motion to distribute in hard copy rather than electronically. It was also adopted that this be RECORDED IN THE MINUTES.

Now, I don't have my copy of ROR with me, but I do have a recolection of the language that stated when the Secretary was to record something, and when the Secretary was to include them in the minutes.

The language is mine. I dreged it out of my recolection of how this needed to be recorded? So am I in error?

... and the body adopted the motion to distribute in hard copy rather than electronically.

It was also adopted that this be RECORDED IN THE MINUTES.

The language is mine....So am I in error?

"Ah! Grasshopper is enlightened!", said Master Po ["Kung Fu"]

See "standing rule" in RONR.

A new policy to use paper hard copy in lieu of the previous method (electronic?) would be a standing rule.

"Ah! Grasshopper is enlightened!", said Master Po ["Kung Fu"]

See "standing rule" in RONR.

A new policy to use paper hard copy in lieu of the previous method (electronic?) would be a standing rule.

and my copy is absent. I believe I'm being told this is not a "Special Order" but it was ordered to be recorded in the minutes.

So I'm back to my original Question: What is the proper language?

I believe I'm being told this is not a "Special Order"

That is correct. This is not a Special Order.

but it was ordered to be recorded in the minutes.

There was no need for that "order," as it should already be recorded in the minutes.

So I'm back to my original Question: What is the proper language?

The motion that creates a new Standing Rule is recorded in the minutes just the same as any other main motion.

That is correct. This is not a Special Order.

There was no need for that "order," as it should already be recorded in the minutes.

The motion that creates a new Standing Rule is recorded in the minutes just the same as any other main motion.

Archived