The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing the wording of a motion after it has been voted on

Guest Cezanne

If any one out there could help me understand if it is acceptable to change the wording of a motion after the motion has been voted on and the meeting adjourned? I am the secretary of a nonprofit board and in trying to research this in a copy of Robert's Rules of Order, I am just getting confused. The practice mentioned above just doesn't sit well with me. I understand that the minutes can be changed at a later date with at least a 2/3 majority, but doesn't the wording of a motion that has been voted on and accepted have to be spot on? Does the changing of the owrding require a whole new motion? We are having a meeting on this very issue Thursday and I am hoping I can get some clarification by then.

Thank you, in advance, for any advice on the above issue.

If any one out there could help me understand if it is acceptable to change the wording of a motion after the motion has been voted on and the meeting adjourned? I am the secretary of a nonprofit board and in trying to research this in a copy of Robert's Rules of Order, I am just getting confused. The practice mentioned above just doesn't sit well with me. I understand that the minutes can be changed at a later date with at least a 2/3 majority, but doesn't the wording of a motion that has been voted on and accepted have to be spot on? Does the changing of the owrding require a whole new motion? We are having a meeting on this very issue Thursday and I am hoping I can get some clarification by then.

Firstly, you don't change the motion by changing the minutes. The minutes are the official record of what was done. You can't rewrite history. Even with a two-thirds vote.

But what you can often do is amend (change) the adopted motion. And that often requires a two-thirds vote.

... if it is acceptable to change the wording of a motion after the motion has been voted on and the meeting adjourned?

I understand that the minutes can be changed at a later date with at least a 2/3 majority, but doesn't the wording of a motion that has been voted on and accepted have to be spot on?

Does the changing of the wording require a whole new motion?

Once a meeting is adjourned, then only way to change the wording of a motion is via new motion in a future meeting.

You cannot change the wording of an adopted motion via amending the minutes. -- That's cheating, parliamentarily-speaking. You cannot re-write history.

Like the Soup Nazi said on Seinfeld: "No time-travel for you! Come back, one month!" :)

Firstly, you don't change the motion by changing the minutes. The minutes are the official record of what was done. You can't rewrite history. Even with a two-thirds vote.

But what you can often do is amend (change) the adopted motion. And that often requires a two-thirds vote.

I understand this predicament. At some meetings motions are not presented in written form. The Secretary has to cobble together a resonable facsimile of the motion. It is my understanding if the intent conveyed by the Secretary's record is consistent with the original motion, there is no foul.

I don't profess to to be a professional, but I do monitor what many secretaries do in fast-moving meetings.

Once a meeting is adjourned, then only way to change the wording of a motion is via new motion in a future meeting.

You cannot change the wording of an adopted motion via amending the minutes. -- That's cheating, parliamentarily-speaking. You cannot re-write history.

Like the Soup Nazi said on Seinfeld: "No time-travel for you! Come back, one month!" :)

Thank you. I KNEW this practice didn't seem right. My minutes and motions recorded therein have been altered after they were formally submitted. I was told that as long as the minutes were "approved as corrected" this practice was okay.

The motion, as passed, is what it is. Certainly the assembly should know what it is voting on, and the secretary should write down the motion correctly. If there is an error in what the secretary wrote (i.e. the draft minutes don't reflect the motion that was actually passed by the assembly), the assembly can and should correct the error in the minutes (and that does not require 2/3 vote) prior to approving the minutes.

If there is simply a wish that the motion be a bit different (or a lot different) than what was voted on, then you need a motion to amend something previously adopted (which often does require 2/3 vote) -- see RONR pp. 293-299.

Formally correcting the minutes, as well as the motion to amend something previously adopted, are both activities that can only take place AT a meeting (not after 'the meeting adjourned').

The motion, as passed, is what it is. Certainly the assembly should know what it is voting on, and the secretary should write down the motion correctly. If there is an error in what the secretary wrote (i.e. the draft minutes don't reflect the motion that was actually passed by the assembly), the assembly can and should correct the error in the minutes (and that does not require 2/3 vote) prior to approving the minutes.

If there is simply a wish that the motion be a bit different (or a lot different) than what was voted on, then you need a motion to amend something previously adopted (which often does require 2/3 vote) -- see RONR pp. 293-299.

Formally correcting the minutes, as well as the motion to amend something previously adopted, are both activities that can only take place AT a meeting (not after 'the meeting adjourned').

Thank you for all your responses. For the record, it was not ME who changed the wording on the motions nor adjusted the meetings minutes, but another board member. During the meeting, before motions are formally voted on I read my notes on the motion to make sure it is worded exactly as the member making the motion wishes it to be.

Archived