The Official RONR Q & A Forums

bylaw changes

Guest Reba

What do you mean by "call for a vote"?

• like, outside of a meeting?

• like, for a body of which he is not a member?

• like, the motion Previous Question, which, upon adoption, halts all debate and all amendment and prompts the chair to conduct a vote?

What phase are you at, in the amendment process?

• Giving notice?

• Making the motion?

• Debate?

If the bylaws are to be amended, then FOLLOW THE METHOD OF AMENDMENT of your bylaws.

We don't have the procedure for changing in our bylaws, just that anything not addressed directly, would be done following Roberts Rules of Order so I better read what is said in the book.

If your bylaws are silent, you'll need a two-thirds vote with previous notice or the vote of a majority of the entire membership. See p.562.

And one of the first things you'll want to add to your bylaws is a section on Amendments.

A member has announced to the membership that she is making a motion that certain bylaws be changed and has stated each the way she wants them to be.

Ah-ha! :o

From your description, it sounds like this member is GIVING NOTICE.

Nothing wrong with that.

To give notice orally inside a meeting is one way of giving notice.

The other way to give notice is to put it in writing and attach the notice to the (mailed) call-to-meeting.

See "previous notice" in RONR.

Can a member call for a vote on the change to bylaws that he/she wants?

We don't have the procedure for changing in our bylaws, just that anything not addressed directly, would be done following Roberts Rules of Order...

If your bylaws say nothing, then RONR does indeed give any member the right to propose an amendment to the bylaws:

'When the bylaws do not place a limitation on those who can give notice of a bylaws amendment, any member is entitled to do so.' (RONR p. 577 ll. 34-36).

Sorry, a member has announced to the membership that she is making a motion that certain bylaws be changed and has stated each the way she wants them to be.

That sounds like giving previous notice, which is generally required for amending the bylaws (pp. 295-6).

Unless your bylaws say differently, it sounds proper.

That sounds like giving previous notice, which is generally required for amending the bylaws (pp. 295-6).

It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

"a member has announced to the membership that she is making a motion"

Does this mean the member is making the motion or that the member will be making the motion (i.e. at the next meeting)?

Telling someone what changes are wanted is not making a motion.

"a member has announced to the membership that she is making a motion"

Member: "I am making a motion. I move that the bylaws be amended by . . . "

That's not the same thing as,

Member: "I will be making a motion at the next meeting to amend the bylaws by . . . "

So, it does depend on what the meaning of "is" is.

Archived