The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meeting Voting

Guest Jan

Our organization is a National one with State Boards of officers and local Boards of officers. Wiothin the local structure, we have By-Law provisions for an Executive Committee (namely the officers). The Executive Committee has called a special meeting for a very touchy subject. According to our National By-Laws, no meeting is allowed to be 'closed' but is open to all members in good standing. There has been a controversy in the rights of the members in good standing being able to speak at the special meeting. I am aware that they may not vote as a member of the Executive Committee however, it is not specified in the local, state or national by-laws if the members have 'voice'. I also am aware of the fact that the chair must recognize a person before they are allowed the floor - so, if the chair does recognize a non-Executive Committee member, does that not negate any ruling and allows that regular member 'voice'?

I am aware that they may not vote as a member of the Executive Committee however, it is not specified in the local, state or national by-laws if the members have 'voice'.

If that is the case, then the rules in the parliamentary authority are controlling. Non-members of the Executive Committee may not speak unless permitted to speak by the Executive Committee. If no motion is pending, this requires a majority vote. If a motion is pending, this requires a suspension of the rules (2/3 vote). (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 255, footnote)

I also am aware of the fact that the chair must recognize a person before they are allowed the floor - so, if the chair does recognize a non-Executive Committee member, does that not negate any ruling and allows that regular member 'voice'?

No. The chair does not have the authority to permit a non-member to speak, although if he expects there to be little controversy he could request unanimous consent to allow the non-member to speak. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 51, lines 23-26)

if the chair does recognize a non-Executive Committee member, does that not negate any ruling and allows that regular member 'voice'?

No. The chair can not, on his own, violate the rules.

Beyond that, you'll have to interpret your own bylaws but the right (of a non-member) to attend does not automatically include the right to speak.

Our organization is a National one with State Boards of officers and local Boards of officers. Wiothin the local structure, we have By-Law provisions for an Executive Committee (namely the officers). The Executive Committee has called a special meeting for a very touchy subject. According to our National By-Laws, no meeting is allowed to be 'closed' but is open to all members in good standing. There has been a controversy in the rights of the members in good standing being able to speak at the special meeting. I am aware that they may not vote as a member of the Executive Committee however, it is not specified in the local, state or national by-laws if the members have 'voice'. I also am aware of the fact that the chair must recognize a person before they are allowed the floor - so, if the chair does recognize a non-Executive Committee member, does that not negate any ruling and allows that regular member 'voice'?

Insofar as RONR controls, the rules must be suspended by a two-thirds vote (or unanimous consent, of course) to permit persons other than the members of the executive committee to make remarks in debate while the "touchy" question is pending. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 255, footnote.

Archived