The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adoption of Minutes - No quorum

Guest Andrea

Hi there,

Our labour organization has not had quorum for our last 3 general Membership meetings. I'm preparing the agenda for the upcoming meeting and need to know if the membership needs to 'adopt' the minutes (if we hve quorum, that is!)

Thanks for your time,

Andrea

Thanks Chris. So you're saying that, even though the minutes from the three meetings are informal, as there was not quorum and therefore no motions could be made, they still need to be adopted? Appreciate the quick reply,

Andrea.

Thanks Chris. So you're saying that, even though the minutes from the three meetings are informal, as there was not quorum and therefore no motions could be made, they still need to be adopted? Appreciate the quick reply,

Andrea.

The form and content of the minutes of an inquorate meeting are the same as for a quorate meeting. And, yes, the minutes of the inquorate meetings need to be approved. The assembly will take up the minutes of each meeting, one at a time, beginning with the earliest.

Thanks Chris. So you're saying that, even though the minutes from the three meetings are informal, as there was not quorum and therefore no motions could be made, they still need to be adopted?

Minutes are approved, not adopted. And, yes, minutes should be prepared (and approved) for all meetings, even those without a quorum. The minutes will, naturally, be brief but will be the official record that a meeting was held.

Minutes are approved, not adopted. And, yes, minutes should be prepared (and approved) for all meetings, even those without a quorum. The minutes will, naturally, be brief but will be the official record that a meeting was held.

You should also take action to address the chronic problems you're having meeting quorum at your meetings.

Finally, when you DO get a quorum, consider adopting a motion that authorizes a committee (name the committee members) to approve the minutes of the meeting for the assembly.

-Bob

Why? I don't see any suggestion that the next meeting will not be within a quarterly interval.

I think the concern is that there won't be any quorum at the next meeting for the minutes to be approved (there appears to be a track record of that developing). The Committee could approve the minutes for the Membership so that concern isn't in play (not that the Membership doesn't have bigger fish to fry than whether the minutes are approved).

Why? I don't see any suggestion that the next meeting will not be within a quarterly interval.

While RONR recommends that minutes be approved by a committee when the next meeting will not be within a quarterly interval [p457, RONR (10th ed)], I find nothing that the assembly doing so if the meeting will occur sooner than a quarterly interval. There might be several reasons for doing so such as a desire to distribute approved minutes to a wider group.

The point is that the assembly can delegate the approval of its minutes and might choose to do so in this case. The point is also that they are not required to do so either, regardless of the interval.

-Bob

Archived