The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can we vote without a debate?

Guest bluehorsekate

Guest bluehorsekate

We have a proposal that has been presented to the membership for many weeks. We had a "Town Hall" meeting where the proposal was explained to the membership and allowed a lot of discussion, debate, questions and clarification. The information on the proposal has also been available in soft and hard copy for membership. We have called a special meeting specifically to vote on this proposal, following our by-law rules.

My question is: can the motion (proposal) be put forward at the meeting and voted on without debate? I understand usual rules require a motion, a seconding, debate and vote; however, does the previous discussion qualify, or must the debate happen within the meeting?

Many thanks,

... does the previous discussion qualify, or must the debate happen within the meeting?

Debate MUST happen within the meeting.

Bottom line:

All that pre-meeting chatter ("twitter"?), "explanation" (your term), "questions", "clarification", etc., counts for nothing.

If you want NO DEBATE, then move the Previous Question, early.

We have a proposal that has been presented to the membership for many weeks. We had a "Town Hall" meeting where the proposal was explained to the membership and allowed a lot of discussion, debate, questions and clarification. The information on the proposal has also been available in soft and hard copy for membership. We have called a special meeting specifically to vote on this proposal, following our by-law rules.

My question is: can the motion (proposal) be put forward at the meeting and voted on without debate? I understand usual rules require a motion, a seconding, debate and vote; however, does the previous discussion qualify, or must the debate happen within the meeting?

Many thanks,

Yes. "Mr. President, I move to suspend the rules and immediately agree to..." This is a main motion, but it requires a two-thirds vote for adoption, since it has the effect of suspending the rules.

Archived