The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote Determination

fitterextreme

An improper determination was made by an election committee that a 2/3 majority be required to pass a motion on floor. Another motion was made slightly changing the details of the first motion that did pass by 2/3 majority.

After the meeting was adjourned it was discovered that only a simple majority was required to pass either motion, not a 2/3 vote by the membership present. Is it proper and fair to negate the results of the second vote because it was not needed.

Nope. It's too late.

Just get it right next time. And don't rely on the election committee to interpret the rules.

Thank you for your answer, can I refer my committee to the rule that enforces this? I am being told that this is like a re-count and all of the members that voted in the first motion are being punished by having their vote recognized improperly in the first place.

Question: An improper determination was made by an election committee that a 2/3 majority be required to pass a motion on floor. Another motion was made slightly changing the details of the first motion that did pass by 2/3 majority.

After the meeting was adjourned it was discovered that only a simple majority was required to pass either motion, not a 2/3 vote by the membership present. Is it proper and fair to negate the results of the second vote because it was not needed?

Answer: Nope. It's too late. Just get it right next time. And don't rely on the election committee to interpret the rules.

Reply to Answer with Another Question: Thank you for your answer, can I refer my committee to the rule that enforces this? I am being told that this is like a re-count and all of the members that voted in the first motion are being punished by having their vote recognized improperly in the first place.

... this is like a re-count ...

No, it is not.

... all of the members that voted in the first motion are being punished by having their vote recognized improperly in the first place.

No, it's nothing "like" that.

All the members present recognized the necessary vote threshold (in error), and the let the chair's announcement of the vote result stand. No point of order was raised in a timely manner. So the decision stands (because no one said anything). It is history.

can I refer my committee to the rule that enforces this?

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. If you mean the part about it being too late to raise a Point of Order, see RONR, 10th ed., pg. 243, lines 19-20; pg. 243, line 32 - pg. 244, line 3; Official Interpretation 2006-18. If you mean the committee butting in on rules interpretation, see RONR, 10th ed., pg. 434, lines 23-26; pg. 471, line 32 - pg. 472, line 1; pg. 79, lines 17-21. Basically, it's the chair's duty to rule on matters of procedure, the committee should stick to its assigned function (elections), and it wasn't a committee meeting so it wasn't really "the election committee," it was just members of the election committee.

I am being told that this is like a re-count

It is not like a recount. You counted the votes correctly. It's the rules you got wrong.

all of the members that voted in the first motion are being punished by having their vote recognized improperly in the first place.

Well if they feel that strongly about it a member should move to amend the motion to the way they want it. Amending something previously adopted requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 295, lines 24-31)

Archived