The Official RONR Q & A Forums

leaving meeting during session

Guest dont understand

Guest dont understand

I have found that the president of the meeting walks out each time a topic comes up that they do not want to deal with. Can we continue the meeting and vote without them? Seems to me by walking out of a meeting in progress without word is the same as quiting??????

I have found that the president of the meeting walks out each time a topic comes up that they do not want to deal with. Can we continue the meeting and vote without them? Seems to me by walking out of a meeting in progress without word is the same as quiting??????

In the absence of the president, the vice-president presides. If the vice-president is also absent (or if you don't have one), hold a brief election to select a chair pro tem (a temporary presiding officer). If your president is unwilling to do his job, he should resign. See also FAQ #20.

I have found that the president of the meeting walks out each time a topic comes up that they do not want to deal with.

Is this President 5 years old? :rolleyes: Time to get a President who can show impartiality and maturity.

Can we continue the meeting and vote without them?

Yes as long as you have a quorum. The VP would take over until the President come back. If you really want to have a show of force against the President for this unacceptable behavior you can Suspend the Rules and have the VP preside for the rest of the meeting. See Official Interpretation 2006-2 for details. Also see this script for how to do it.

Seems to me by walking out of a meeting in progress without word is the same as quiting??????

No. Just a President acting childish. He would have to actually convey verbally or in writing that he is resigning and the assembly would have to accept it before he actually quit.

When the president walks out, the VP should preside.

If none is present, or if the VP also does not perform his duties, elect a chairman pro tempore to preside.

The assembly adjorns when it decides to, not when its chair does not like a "topic"

Archived