The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Teleconference Board Meeting

Guest Evelyn

If a Board meeting combines meeting in person and teleconferencing in to the meeting, can a show of hands vote be called to preclude the people on the phone from voting on a motion?

First of all, a board meeting should not combine meeting in person and teleconferencing in to the meeting, and the absentee members cannot vote unless the Bylaws provide for this method of absentee voting. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 408, line 31 - pg. 409, line 2; pg. 482, line 28 - pg. 483, line 5) If the Bylaws do provide for it, however, then a motion to preclude the members on the phone from voting is not in order. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 255, lines 22-28)

If a Board meeting combines meeting in person and teleconferencing in to the meeting, can a show of hands vote be called to preclude the people on the phone from voting on a motion?

I have previously opined on this forum that this kind of situation is not what the authors intended by "teleconference" in RONR (10th ed.), pp. 482, 483. Contact your local telephone company about setting up a conference call, where all the members can participate actively in the meeting.

First of all, a board meeting should not combine meeting in person and teleconferencing in to the meeting.

This opinion, most notably defended by Mr. Elsman over the years, has been a persistent parliamentary pet peeve of mine as I find nothing in RONR that supports it. I see no reason why each member must be isolated in his own teleconferencing booth. In other words, I see no reason why two (or more) members can't be in the same place while one (or more) members are in other places, all communicating simultaneously.

This opinion, most notably defended by Mr. Elsman over the years, has been a persistent parliamentary pet peeve of mine as I find nothing in RONR that supports it. I see no reason why each member must be isolated in his own teleconferencing booth. In other words, I see no reason why two (or more) members can't be in the same place while one (or more) members are in other places, all communicating simultaneously.

For the record, Mr. Elsman has never stated that "...each member must be isolated in his own teleconferencing booth". I, too, "...see no reason why two (or more) members can't be in the same place while one (or more) members are in other places, all communicating simultaneously". smile.gif

For the record, Mr. Elsman has never stated that "...each member must be isolated in his own teleconferencing booth". I, too, "...see no reason why two (or more) members can't be in the same place while one (or more) members are in other places, all communicating simultaneously".

I apologize for misremembering and misrepresenting your position.

And I look forward to Mr. Martin's reply.

If the bylaws do permit meeting and voting by teleconferencing--check them--common sense says you have to adapt the methods of voting in a reasonable way. You can't ask for a show of hands and ignore the speakerphone sitting there on the table.

In other words, I see no reason why two (or more) members can't be in the same place while one (or more) members are in other places, all communicating simultaneously.

I see no problem with it either. The key, however, is the idea of all members communicating simultaneously. Thus, regardless of how many members may be present in one location, the meeting is a teleconference and special rules of order should be adopted for recognition, voting, etc. so that all members may participate equally. Many questions on this forum (this particular one being an extreme example) suggest that the "calling in" members are a separate category from the members at the physical meeting. This implies that an inequality exists, likely because the assembly just decided to have somebody call in one day rather than developing appropriate rules for a teleconference. I should have clarified the nature of my objections.

Archived