The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointments to the board

Guest RD Joy

Can a member who was appointed to the board but not elected by the members be appointed President because the former President resigned? There are three other elected members of the board who have the experience to fill this position. I always thought the succession of officers would follow, etc, the vice President would assume the role until the next elections & board reorganization. I was told by a parliamentarian and an attorney that an appointed member to the board could not hold an executive position until elected to the board by the members. Whats the answer here?

Can a member who was appointed to the board but not elected by the members be appointed President because the former President resigned?

Do you mean, in general? - Yes.

Do you mean, can you do any appointing? - No.

If you have no vacancy-filling rule, then the rule is, the body who elected the position originally is the body who fills all vacancies.

Exception: a vacancy in the office of president is automatically filled by the vice president, and thus a vacancy will exist in the office of vice president.

No "appointing" is possible, since the succession is instant, and involves no one's approval or appointing.

There are three other elected members of the board who have the experience to fill this position.

Irrelevant. They are not involved in the automatic succession from VP to P.

I always thought the succession of officers would follow, etc, the vice President would assume the role until the next elections & board reorganization.

Yes. Correct.

Indeed, that is The Book.

I was told by a parliamentarian and an attorney that an appointed member to the board could not hold an executive position until elected to the board by the members.

What do you mean "could not"?

The succession from VP to P is per to Robert's Rules of Order. The rule is clear. I assume you have no conflicting rule.

So if you don't have a conflicting rule or other controlling rule, it's a done deal.

Wait! Are you saying, your VP was appointed by a single person, and never elected? - How did that happen?

Nonetheless, if the VP got his office by hook or by crook, he is still VP, and he still becomes president when there a vacancy in the office of president.

I don't see how "being appointed" is a factor here, when your question is regarding succession to the office of president.

The succession rule doesn't care HOW the VP got to be VP.

The succession rule, once triggered, just works on its own. No voting. No appointing.

Now go fill the vacant office of vice president.

And congratulate the new president.

Archived