The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can an meeting be called to recess while vote count is in process

Guest eddie

During a vote for officers an active ballot was taken and was in process when we were called to recess prior to the results being reported and the tellers were allowed to leave the ballot a go to lunch. Is this in order?

Lunch might be a tad long for a recess (which is supposed to be a very brief break from business). So the meeting should probably be adjourned to a later time (say, adjourned at noon until one o'clock). As long at the ballot box was secure, I don't see why the polls could not be kept open during lunch. But stay tuned.

In any event, the assembly can't be "called" to recess (or adjourn) unless it wants to recess (or adjourn).

OOPS! Just noticed the part about the tellers being out to lunch (so to speak). Who was minding the store?

Don't give up yet, Mr M. Hey Eddie - was this a convention?

Well, I don't think whether it's a convention or not is especially relevant, especially as the cited passage appears in a discussion of recess and adjournment and not in the section on conventions.

That said, the section (20) on the motion to recess describes it as an intermission of "commonly only a few minutes" though, apropos to this particular topic, counting ballots if one reason given for a recess. Lunch, I think, would take more than a few minutes.

But it's a judgment call.

Well, I don't think whether it's a convention or not is especially relevant, especially as the cited passage appears in a discussion of recess and adjournment and not in the section on conventions.

That said, the section (20) on the motion to recess describes it as an intermission of "commonly only a few minutes" though, apropos to this particular topic, counting ballots if one reason given for a recess. Lunch, I think, would take more than a few minutes.

But it's a judgment call.

Fair enough, though p 222 l. 31 describes a recess as "commonly of only a few minutes." In terms of the p. 83 cited reference, I read that to illustrate - when taking lunch break at a convention - that between the choice of a recess or an adjournment, time and member dispersement may be taken into account.

Judgement call, yes. The bigger question eddie should be concerned with is were those ballots secured?

Don't give up yet, Mr M. Hey Eddie - was this a convention??? (Mr. Mountcastle's rep is on the line!! cool.gif )

The cited rule has equal applicability to assemblies of all types. A convention is used as an example because conventions tend to be quite lengthy, and thus more likely to take a break for lunch.

Archived